Sometimes the need for roof repair can be less than obvious. Maybe you have spotted a few small defects that aren’t seeming to cause any trouble, but leaving them to deteriorate further can lead to leaks and a host of other problems within your home. While no one wants to hear that they need roof repair or replacement, taking a look around your home for these signs can ultimately help you save time and money in the long run. Today’s post features a few tips from Bellator Roofing and Construction in Dallas — get in touch with us today for a free roof repair quote!
Signs of Roof Damage
- Shingle Damage. If you notice that your shingles are missing, look dark/wet, have curled edges, or are cracked, you are going to want to get your roof assessed and see if repair or replacement is in your best interest. Also be sure to check your gutters to see if there are any granules from your shingles, as this is another sign of roof deterioration.
- Leaks and Water Damage. A leak in your home is a surefire way of determining if your roof is damaged. Take a look in your attic, checking for dark streaks and stains along your walls and ceilings that would indicate water damage to your home. Water damage within your home often leads to mold and mildew, so it is crucial to get these issues solved immediately before the problem escalates into something more serious.
- Sagging Roof Line. Mother Nature tends to wreak havoc on our roofs, and after years of bearing the weight of wind, rain, snow, hail, etc., they can start to sag. While the look of a sagging roof may appeal to those who enjoy a rustic aesthetic, it can be quite dangerous. Left unresolved, the home may not be able to support the weight of the roof, ultimately causing it to collapse.
- Your Roof’s Age Is Greater Than 20 Years. Although the lifespan of your roof depends on where and how it was installed, the average lifespan of a typical roof is 20 years. Temperatures also affect the lifespan. In warmer climates, the life span is even shorter, being around 14 years. Extreme weather conditions and temperature changes can also decrease the lifespan of a roof.
- Daylight Through the Roof Boards. Another way you can check for roof damage is through the roof boards of your attic. If you can see streams of light coming through cracks in your roof, you are going to want to get your roof repaired or replaced immediately. If light can get through, so can the elements.
Steps to Take If Roof Damage Is Spotted
The most important step you can take if you spot roof damage is to contact a trusted, professional roofing company to perform a roof/home inspection and assess the type of treatment that needs to be done. The average lifespan of your roof can be extended with the right roof repair team helping maintain and take the needed precautions. Contact Bellator Roofing and Construction today to get your free roof replacement estimate and inspection and let us help keep both you and your home protected.